What Is It?
It is well known that when you are using high heat for cooking, your cooking oil, even “healthy” ones, will become unstable. It will react with oxygen to form free radicals and toxic compounds harmful to our bodies. Hence, it is imperative that the cooking oil we choose to use be not only a healthy oil, but one that remains stable even under high heat. Furthermore, oils that are stable do not oxidize or go rancid easily.
Most vegetable (polyunsaturated) cooking oils, such as soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola oil, etc., which are easily accessible nowadays, are unstable at high heat. This means that such oils oxidize at high heat and the polyunsaturated fatty acids degrade to become toxic compounds.
That is why Nature’s Superfoods is bringing you Culinary Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO). Our VCO is stable at high heat due to its high composition of saturated fats
Epidemiological studies have shown that despite coconut’s high saturated fat content, populations (for e.g. the South Pacific Islanders) whose primary source of food was the coconut were relatively healthy and trim before they moved to a more Western diet later on. These populations, during the olden days, were not plagued by modern lifestyle diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart diseases. Such diseases are now prevalent in modern Western cultures due to the highly refined diet. Researchers who studied the South Pacific Islanders also discovered healthy cholesterol levels among these people! It is now commonly known that the high amount of saturated fat in a coconut-based diet does not bring about adverse effects on cholesterol levels.
Virgin Coconut Oil is known for its high level of beneficial Medium-Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs) which is converted into energy readily by the body instead of being stored as fat; these MCFAs also exhibit antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
Why choose Nature’s Superfoods Culinary Virgin Coconut Oil (for cooking or baking):
-Very mild or almost neutral taste and aroma, as compared to regular Virgin Coconut Oil which has a distinct coconut taste and aroma (before/after cooking). If you do not want your cooked dishes to carry a distinct coconut taste and aroma, then our Culinary VCO is the oil for you.
-Minimal processing without heat or chemical treatment – our Culinary VCO is derived from passing our original cold-pressed VCO Oil through inert clay to minimize the coconut taste and aroma. Both oils are exactly the same in terms of nutrient profile, carry the same healthy fatty acids, and are stable at high heat. The only difference is Culinary VCO will not leave a distinct coconut aroma in your food after cooking.
-Certified Organic with USDA and EU
-Unrefined, cold-pressed, non-hydrogenated
-One of the lowest water content in the industry – water content in oil leads to rancidity
-About 50% Lauric Acid (a medium-chain fatty acid with strong anti-viral properties)
-Smooth (no ‘bite’) and easy (no unpleasant oiliness) on tongue and throat
-Clear and transparent oil at room temperature (tropical climate). Both Culinary VCO and regular VCO start to turn solid white at temperatures below 24 degrees celcius (for example in the refrigerator).
Botanical name: Cocos nucifera
Organic certifications: USDA, Control Union (EU)
Nature’s Superfoods Culinary Virgin Coconut Oil is imported from Thailand.
Available in 500ml food-grade PET bottles that are phthalate- and BPA-free and 1000ml Glass Jar
How to Use
- Use as a healthy cooking oil or for baking. Our Culinary VCO will not lend a strong coconut flavor or aroma to whatever you are cooking.
- Use the Culinary Virgin Coconut Oil like the regular Virgin Coconut Oil: as a dietary supplement – 2-4 tablespoons a day with/after meals. For beginners, start with 1 tablespoon a day.
- Mix 1-2 tbsp of Culinary VCO into your oatmeal, porridge or smoothies
- Apply to dry skin or hair as a moisturizer/conditioner. VCO is also a good yet gentle make up remover. With Culinary VCO, you won’t smell like coconuts.
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Pure VCO solidifies (becomes milky white) in temperatures below 24°C (for example in the refrigerator).
1. Strengthens the Immune System – fights viruses and diseases. Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) has high amounts of Lauric Acid, the star medium-chain fatty acid with strong antiviral and antimicrobial properties. Lauric Acid (found in mother's breast milk) is otherwise rarely found in nature and VCO has loads of it!.
2.Could Improve Neurodegenerative Conditions such as Alzheimer's and Dementia - the MCFAs in Coconut Oil get converted into ketones in the liver. Studies show that ketones appear to be the preferred fuel for the brains of those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or diabetes. Just over 2 tablespoons of VCO a day could help prevent degenerative neurological conditions, according to Dr Newport.
3. Improves Cholesterol Levels – protects against heart disease. A study has shown that VCO increases good cholesterol (HDL) levels, decreases LDL/HDL ratio, and reduces abdominal obesity (think smaller waistline), when coupled with a low-calorie diet and moderate exercise.
4. Boosts Metabolism – ingestion of MCFAs helps increase thermogenesis- VCO can be an effective aid in weight loss efforts, especially when regular exercise is also incorporated.
5. Boosts Energy and Endurance – enhances physical and athletic performance due to the direct conversion of MCFAs into energy.
6. Helps Keep Blood Glucose Levels Under Control - VCO has been shown to improve insulin secretion and utilisation of blood glucose. As reported in the Journal of the Indian Medical Association, Type II diabetes in India has increased as people have abandoned their traditional oils like coconut oil, in favor of supposedly 'heart-friendly' polyunsaturated vegetable oils.
7. Improves Detoxification, Digestion, Bowel Function and Nutrient Absorption - VCO cleans and strengthens colon tissues, helps restore regular bowel activity.
8. As a Natural Remedy for Dry skin and Hair - As VCO is a multi-purpose oil, it can be used topically to moisturize dry/wrinkled skin, hair, as well as skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. The antioxidant properties of VCO is especially useful in fight free radicals in our bodies.
For more on the health benefits and recipes of VCO, download our write-up Virgin Coconut Oil or Virgin Coconut Oil (Chinese).
Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO), primarily made up of saturated fats, has been mistakenly labelled as unhealthy, or fattening, by many people. It is time for us to be better informed about the fact that not all saturated fats are 'evil'. The medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) or medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in VCO is one of these good saturated fats. Contrary to popular myth, these fats in VCO do not transform into bad cholesterol to clog up your arteries. In fact, population studies have shown that many cultures around the world that rely heavily on coconut oil as their main source of fat have been found to be free of heart disease.
Most conventional advice relating Coconut Oil to higher cholesterol levels and heart diseases are now known to be inaccurate in the natural health community, with the exception of coconut oil that has gone through the hydrogenation process which creates synthetic trans-fats. Studies have shown that consuming natural coconut oil or VCO actually moves one’s cholesterol readings in a favorable direction.
VCO has around 62-65% concentration of Medium Chain Fatty Acids(MCFAs), these MCFAs or MCTs are converted directly into energy in the liver without the need for digestive enzymes to digest. The calories from MCFAs are not stored as fat, but instead are used by the body and brain immediately. MCFAs differ in structure from the long chain fatty acids (LCFAs) found in most other polyunsaturated vegetable oils (such as safflower, corn, soybean oils) which require digestive enzymes to digest and which promote fat deposition in the body. The star MCFA in VCO is Lauric Acid (a fatty acid also found in human breast milk, and rarely found elsewhere in nature) which contributes to the oil’s antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties, and consequently its immune-boosting benefits. Nature’s Superfoods’ VCO has about 50% Lauric Acid.
Combined with a sensible diet and regular exercise, VCO can stimulate metabolism and increase the rate at which calories are burned. This is due to the oil’s medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs or MCTs) as mentioned above.
VCO is one of the few healthy cooking oils you can use in your kitchen as it is stable enough (with high smoke point) to resist heat-induced damage i.e. you can use VCO safely for high-heat cooking or baking- VCO will not oxidize or become denatured due to the high temperature. The same cannot be said of the wide variety of polyunsaturated vegetable oils lining our supermarket shelves. Polyunsaturated oils (such as sunflower, safflower, corn, soybean, grape seed oils, etc) oxidize and denature easily at high heat, producing toxic compounds. Most of these polyunsaturated oils (including the so called healthier choice of rice bran oil, which has a higher smoke point) also contain a high content of Omega 6 (as compared to Omega 3), which means unless you are supplementing with reasonable amounts of Omega 3 in your diet, you are likely to be consuming too much Omega 6 by using these oils for your daily cooking. The ideal ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 intake is 1:1. However, most people in developed countries, with their modern-day diets, have this ratio soaring to more than 15:1 (Omega 6: Omega 3), leading to more inflammation-related health problems such as higher rates of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke, arthritis and skin disorders.
According to some studies done in the USA, VCO can be useful in degenerative brain conditions such as Alzheimer's and dementia as it provides an alternative source of fuel (other than glucose) for the brain cells in the form of ketone bodies.Ketones appear to be the preferred source of brain food in patients with diabetes or Alzheimer's i.e. those whose brains are unable to use glucose due to insulin resistance.
Servings per bottle(500ml): 36
Serving size: 14ml (1 tablespoon)
|| Per 100ml