What Is It?
Nature’s Superfoods’ Andean Grains Medley is made up of Quinoa and Amaranth seeds. Since the time of ancient Inca and Aztec civilizations, both seeds have been historically regarded to be sacred whole grains that give amazing strength to those who consume them. Quinoa and Amaranth seeds have similar nutrient profiles, and they have high levels of quality protein with all the 9 essential amino acids, including good amounts of lysine. Such a profile is lacking in most other grains. In addition, Andean Grains Medley has good amounts of dietary fiber, B vitamins and a wide range of minerals, especially iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese.
This medley of ancient grains can be considered one of the most complete natural foods in the world with a myriad of nutrients that the human body needs. Based on their high nutritional value, both Quinoa and Amaranth seeds were selected by NASA as well-balanced foods for astronauts,.
Amaranth seeds make a great addition to the family of Quinoa seeds, due to its higher iron and squalene content. When cooked together with Quinoa, Amaranth adds a nice texture and flavor as well.
Organic certifications: USDA, Control Union EU, JAS
Naturally gluten-free. Vegan. Pre-washed.
Nature’s Superfoods’ Organic Andean Grains Medley is now available in Singapore in net 500g and 1kg packs.
How to Use
How to enjoy Andean Grains Medley:
Andean Grains Medley has a nice nutty flavor when cooked, and has a slightly crunchy texture. It is versatile and can be eaten like rice.
Rinse the grains under running water. Bring to a boil in a saucepan – 1 part grains, 2 parts water/stock, and then reduce the heat to low, simmer for another 15min or so until the medley has absorbed the water. The cooked Quinoa will be plump and a white “curly tail” will be visible. One cup of uncooked Andean Grains Medley makes 3-4 cups of cooked grains. You can add the cooked grains directly into cereals, soups, sauces, curries, etc. This is a very versatile whole-grain mix.
If you wish to have some rice in your meals, you can add Ancient Grains Medley to rice, and cook the mixture in a rice cooker. The same grain-to-water ratio applies, just like when cooking rice. The mixture of these whole grains with rice will lower the Glycemic index of the meal, which is very much better for your blood sugar levels.
Leftover cooked grains store well in the refrigerator for a few days.
To cook Andean Grains Medley to have a porridge-like texture: add 1 portion of grain and 3-4 portions of water/broth (ratio- 1:4) to pot and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20-25 min till the texture of the mixture becomes like porridge. Add in your preferred ingredients like coconut palm sugar, nuts, milk, beans, etc. to enjoy a nutritious breakfast/meal.
Andean Grains Medley is a great superfood for the whole family- children, adults and the elderly. This whole-grain mixture provides all essential amino acids (necessary for tissue development and repair), magnesium, iron, calcium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, and Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), and many other phytonutrients.
1. Great for Growing/Malnourished Children and for Vegans: Not many whole grains can claim to be complete-protein whole grains with all 9 essential amino acids. Both Quinoa and Amaranth are recommended super-grains with excellent amino acid profile –essential for human growth and development as well as for the process of healing. These ancient grains are also great for vegans.
2. Improves Anemia: Andean Grains Medley is an ideal food for those suffering from anemia, as it is also a good source of iron. (Amaranth has twice more iron than Quinoa)
3. Improves heart health: Consuming Andean Grains Medley regularly may help lower cholesterol (LDL- the ‘bad’ cholesterol) and triglycerides due to the presence of a significant amount of phytosterols and squalene. This whole-grain mix is also a good source of magnesium and contain bioactive peptides which help to relax blood vessels and lower blood pressure.
4. Anti-Inflammatory Benefits: Andean Grains Medley contains polyphenols like vitamin E, quercetin, kaempferol and Omega fatty acids, which help fight free radical damage, thus promoting a healthy immune system and reducing the risk of cancer.
5. Improves Digestive Health: Andean Grains Medley is high in dietary, colon cleansing fiber - helps maintain a healthy digestive system and reduce the chances of getting gallstones.
6. Supports Healthy Weight Loss/ Helps Build Lean Muscles: Andean Grains Medley will make you feel full longer due to slow-releasing carbohydrates. The low glycemic index (GI) and the high-quality protein makes this whole-grain mix an excellent choice food for bodybuilders who wish to cut down on fats, while developing lean muscles.
Amaranth is rich in calcium and magnesium, which work together to build healthy bones. This is complemented by the presence of essential amino acid lysine, which improves calcium absorption. Amaranth contains good quantities of squalene - an Omega 2 fatty acid which supports the immune system and is also known to help maintain skin moisture and elasticity. Amaranth is also high in iron (twice the iron of quinoa) and zinc.
Quinoa is relatively low in carbohydrates and high in fiber and unsaturated fats, especially heart-healthy mono-unsaturated fats (such as oleic acid). Health experts are most excited about the fact that the amount of protein (12-18%) in quinoa is higher than all other grains (50% more than wheat), and this protein is of a superior quality. Quinoa has twice the fiber of most other grains. In addition, it contains many essential vitamins and minerals such as phosphorous, calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin E and several of the B vitamins.
Consuming 100g of quinoa (approx. half a cup) is equivalent to drinking four glasses of milk.
Both Quinoa and Amaranth are naturally gluten-free, easy to digest and prepare.
Servings per package(500g): about 6
Serving size: 80g or half cup dry
|| Per 100g
Storage: Store in a cool, dry place. Refrigerate after opening to extend storage life.