If you think sweet is unhealthy, Yacon Root will prove you wrong. Yacon, though sweet, is a natural dietetic and prebiotic food. It is grown in the Andes (Peru & Ecuador) for its crisp, sweet-tasting tuberous root. The texture and flavor have been described as a cross between a fresh apple and watermelon.
Yacon root is considered the world’s richest natural source of fructo-oligosaccharides(FOS), a form of dietary fibre and sugar polymer which is not able to be absorbed by our bodies but regulates friendly intestinal flora and boosts the human immune system by feeding the probiotic(good) bacteria in our digestive system. According to a 2009 study in the “Journal of Medicinal Food,” consuming yacon root may even reverse bone loss as it improves calcium and magnesium absorption in the body.
While being satisfyingly sweet due to its naturally-occuring FOS content, Yacon remains low in calories (because FOS is not able to be digested by the body).
Health Benefits of Yacon
- Promotes the growth of bacteria beneficial to human health in the intestine.
- Improves Detoxification – eliminate toxins and waste products from the body.
- Prevents constipation, keeps colon functioning well
- Protect against osteoporosis (due to its action of improving the absorption of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in the body). Preclinical studies indicate an increase in bone density i.e. strengthening of bones
- Improves absorption of vitamins, esp. the B vitamins
- An effective aid to weight loss
- Regulates blood sugar and insulin levels
- Helps to lower blood pressure
- Beneficial effect on obesity and LDL-cholesterol levels
- Strengthening of Immune System
In summary, Organic Yacon Syrup is ideal as an alternative sweetener and prebiotic food for low-calorie and weight-loss diets, low-sugar diets, cancer-fighting diets while being rich in antioxidants and glyconutrients.
High in fiber, low in fat & calories, and rich in superfood-level antioxidants, Yacon is nature’s prebiotic superfood.
Our Yacon Syrup is….
….made from 100% organic Yacon roots from Peru with a 35-40% FOS content. There are no other ingredients or additives added to it.
Certified Organic and Fair Trade, Gluten-free. Extremely low in Glycemic Index (GI) <1.
(In contrast, Agave nectar has a GI of between 15-30 and is devoid of virtually all nutrient value).
How to Consume Yacon Syrup
Yacon syrup has a pleasant caramel-like, molasses flavor. It is thick and sticky and it easily substitutes for maple sugar or molasses in recipes and brown sugar in baking. It can also be used to sweeten beverages. As it is very sweet, like honey (but with half the calories of honey), use it in the same amount as you would honey in a recipe. Storage: Refrigerate after opening.
Download our write-up to read more! Organic Yacon Syrup_writeup
Nature’s Superfoods is proud to bring to you Certified Organic Yacon Syrup in 250g jar.