What Is It?
Those who are truly health-conscious know about the goodness of Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO). Epidemiological studies have shown that despite coconut’s high saturated fat content, populations (for e.g. the South Pacific Islanders) whose primary source of food was the coconut were relatively healthy and trim before they moved to a more Western diet later on. These populations, during the olden days, were not plagued by modern lifestyle diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart diseases. Such diseases are now prevalent in modern Western cultures due to the highly refined diet. Researchers who studied the South Pacific Islanders also discovered healthy cholesterol levels among these people! It is now commonly known that the high amount of saturated fat in a coconut-based diet does not bring about adverse effects on cholesterol levels.
Virgin Coconut Oil is known for its high level of beneficial Medium-Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs) which is converted into energy readily by the body instead of being stored as fat; these MCFAs also exhibit antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
Why choose Nature’s Superfoods Extra Virgin Coconut Oil:
-Certified Organic with USDA and EU
-Unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil, non-hydrogenated
-Made from 100% fresh organic coconuts which are harvested, cold-pressed, centrifuged and bottled within 8 hours on the same day in the country of origin.
-No high-heat or any chemical treatment involved
-One of the lowest water content in the industry – water content in oil leads to rancidity
-Over 50% Lauric Acid (a medium-chain fatty acid with strong anti-viral properties)
-Mild and delicate flavor and aroma – Smooth and easy (no unpleasant oiliness) on tongue and throat
-Clear and transparent oil at room temperature (tropical climate)
Botanical name: Cocos nucifera
Organic certifications:USDA, Control Union (EU)
Nature’s Superfoods Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is imported from Thailand.
Available in 200ml,500ml and 1000ml food-grade PET bottles that are phthalate- and BPA-free.
How to Use
- As a dietary supplement – 2-4 tablespoons a day with/after meals. For beginners, start with 1 tablespoon a day.
- Mix 1-2 tbsp of VCO into your oatmeal, porridge or smoothies
- Use as a healthy cooking oil or for baking
- Apply to dry skin or hair as a moisturizer/conditioner. VCO is also a good yet gentle make up remover.
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Pure VCO solidifies (becomes milky white) in temperatures below 24°C
1. Strengthens the Immune System – fights viruses and diseases. Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) has high amounts of Lauric Acid, the star medium-chain fatty acid with strong antiviral and antimicrobial properties. Lauric Acid (found in mother's breast milk) is otherwise rarely found in nature and VCO has loads of it!.
2.Could Improve Neurodegenerative Conditions such as Alzheimer's and Dementia - the MCFAs in Coconut Oil get converted into ketones in the liver. Studies show that ketones appear to be the preferred fuel for the brains of those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or diabetes. Just over 2 tablespoons of VCO a day could help prevent degenerative neurological conditions, according to Dr Newport.
3. Improves Cholesterol Levels – protects against heart disease. A study has shown that VCO increases good cholesterol (HDL) levels, decreases LDL/HDL ratio, and reduces abdominal obesity (think smaller waistline), when coupled with a low-calorie diet and moderate exercise.
4. Boosts Metabolism – ingestion of MCFAs helps increase thermogenesis- VCO can be an effective aid in weight loss efforts, especially when regular exercise is also incorporated.
5. Boosts Energy and Endurance – enhances physical and athletic performance due to the direct conversion of MCFAs into energy.
6. Helps Keep Blood Glucose Levels Under Control - VCO has been shown to improve insulin secretion and utilisation of blood glucose. As reported in the Journal of the Indian Medical Association, Type II diabetes in India has increased as people have abandoned their traditional oils like coconut oil, in favor of supposedly 'heart-friendly' polyunsaturated vegetable oils.
7. Improves Detoxification, Digestion, Bowel Function and Nutrient Absorption - VCO cleans and strengthens colon tissues, helps restore regular bowel activity.
8. As a Natural Remedy for Dry skin and Hair - As VCO is a multi-purpose oil, it can be used topically to moisturize dry/wrinkled skin, hair, as well as skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. The antioxidant properties of VCO is especially useful in fight free radicals in our bodies.
For more on the health benefits and recipes of VCO, download our write-up Virgin Coconut Oil or Virgin Coconut Oil (Chinese).
Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO), primarily made up of saturated fats, has been mistakenly labelled as unhealthy, or fattening, by many people. It is time for us to be better informed about the fact that not all saturated fats are 'evil'. The medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) or medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in VCO is one of these good saturated fats. Contrary to popular myth, these fats in VCO do not transform into bad cholesterol to clog up your arteries. In fact, population studies have shown that many cultures around the world that rely heavily on coconut oil as their main source of fat have been found to be free of heart disease.
Most conventional advice relating Coconut Oil to higher cholesterol levels and heart diseases are now known to be inaccurate in the natural health community, with the exception of coconut oil that has gone through the hydrogenation process which creates synthetic trans-fats. Studies have shown that consuming natural coconut oil or VCO actually moves one’s cholesterol readings in a favorable direction.
VCO has around 62-65% concentration of Medium Chain Fatty Acids(MCFAs), these MCFAs or MCTs are converted directly into energy in the liver without the need for digestive enzymes to digest. The calories from MCFAs are not stored as fat, but instead are used by the body and brain immediately. MCFAs differ in structure from the long chain fatty acids (LCFAs) found in most other polyunsaturated vegetable oils (such as safflower, corn, soybean oils) which require digestive enzymes to digest and which promote fat deposition in the body. The star MCFA in VCO is Lauric Acid (a fatty acid also found in human breast milk, and rarely found elsewhere in nature) which contributes to the oil’s antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties, and consequently its immune-boosting benefits. Nature’s Superfoods’ VCO has about 50% Lauric Acid.
Combined with a sensible diet and regular exercise, VCO can stimulate metabolism and increase the rate at which calories are burned. This is due to the oil’s medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs or MCTs) as mentioned above.
VCO is one of the few healthy cooking oils you can use in your kitchen as it is stable enough (with high smoke point) to resist heat-induced damage i.e. you can use VCO safely for high-heat cooking or baking- VCO will not oxidize or become denatured due to the high temperature. The same cannot be said of the wide variety of polyunsaturated vegetable oils lining our supermarket shelves. Polyunsaturated oils (such as sunflower, safflower, corn, soybean, grape seed oils, etc) oxidize and denature easily at high heat, producing toxic compounds. Most of these polyunsaturated oils (including the so called healthier choice of rice bran oil, which has a higher smoke point) also contain a high content of Omega 6 (as compared to Omega 3), which means unless you are supplementing with reasonable amounts of Omega 3 in your diet, you are likely to be consuming too much Omega 6 by using these oils for your daily cooking. The ideal ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 intake is 1:1. However, most people in developed countries, with their modern-day diets, have this ratio soaring to more than 15:1 (Omega 6: Omega 3), leading to more inflammation-related health problems such as higher rates of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke, arthritis and skin disorders.
According to some studies done in the USA, VCO can be useful in degenerative brain conditions such as Alzheimer's and dementia as it provides an alternative source of fuel (other than glucose) for the brain cells in the form of ketone bodies.Ketones appear to be the preferred source of brain food in patients with diabetes or Alzheimer's i.e. those whose brains are unable to use glucose due to insulin resistance.
Servings per bottle(500ml): 36
Serving size: 14ml (1 tablespoon)
|| Per 100ml